Friday, Oct 2–
Birds & Barn Quilts & Demonstrations… Wine & Paintings & Workshops, galore during American Craft Week and Virginia Artisan Month with these Virginia Artisan events:
* “Birds, Bees & Botanicals by American Craft Artists”- Mud Dauber Pottery, Oct 2 – 11, 2015… A special collection of American-made craft representing birds, insects, flowers and plants in a wide variety of media. Monticello AT
* Barn Quilt Display at Peaks of Otter Winery & Orchards, Oct 2 – 11, 2015, noon-5pm, daily… View originally barn quilts in various stages of completion! Perfect time of year to visit, pick from our orchards, and drink our rich wines and ciders. Bedford AT
* NVGA Wood, Kirk McCauley Artisan- Open House & Demonstrations, Oct 2-9, 2015, 10am-5pm… Witness the art of wood-turning while he creates original pieces from local wood found throughout the Blue Ridge Mountains and notable historic sites such as Monticello. Monticello AT
* Hickory Hill Vineyards invites you “A Decade of Franc” Vertical Tasting Fridays. Oct 2, 9, 16; 6-8pm. Explore a decade’s worth of Cabernet Franc and discover how history, weather, wine-making and aging sculpt the wine into its final form. Select vintages will be offered for sale. $15/person. Bedford AT
* Les Yeux du Monde presents “Herb Jackson: New Paintings”, Sept 25-Oct 25, 2015, Open Thurs through Sun, 1-5pm. This show is a celebration of the gallery’s 20th anniversary as Herb Jackson was the first artist Les Yeux du Monde showed when it opened in October 1995. A long time professor of art at Davidson College, Jackson has shown internationally and nationally and is in countless museum, corporate and private collections. Monticello AT
* Craft Exhibit, Workshop & Special Events all Month Long @ Gloucester Arts on Main. Hosting gallery art shows and offering various art classes, workshops, and special events to members and the public, we will also have several local craftsman who will be exhibiting and teaching throughout the month of October.
Sat, Oct 3 –
Take advantage of the beautiful October weather with today’s American Craft Week celebrations!
* Jean Moyer at 34th Annual Dayton Autumn Celebration, Oct 3, 8:30am-4pm. This Festival has something for everyone. Jean Moyer will be there with her art. In addition, there will be many vendors, food, rides, and many activities for adults and children. Page Valley AT
* Andrea Korotky Hands-on Loom Demonstration & Sale, Oct 3, 9am-4pm. Hands-on demonstrations on looms, as well as sales of original Korotky handwoven and handmade textiles. Textiles range from household linens, wraps, blankets, garlands to wear, and clothes of all kinds! Just follow the gravel path towards the woods to find a unique textile studio. Monticello AT
* Wes Porter Opening Reception at Arts & Artisans Fine Art Gallery, Oct 3, 12-6pm. Wes is an accomplished oil and watercolor painter, inspired by the local scenery and environment of the Shenandoah Valley. The show continues ’til Oct 18, Thurs through Sun, 12-6pm. Page Valley AT
* Opening Reception @ The Shenandoah Valley Art Center, Oct 3, 6-8pm. Exhibition featuring works of art by the Beverley Street Studio School artists – students and instructors. The show will run through the month of October. Heart & Soil AT
Sun, Oct 4 –
Did you celebrate Virginia Artisan Month this weekend? If you didn’t have a chance, here are two upcoming events that not only celebrate VA Artisan Month but also American Craft Week.
* The Women’s Business Center at ODU Business Gateway and the Artisans Center of Virginia (ACV) for “INVOKING ART AS BUSINESS” an ACV entrepreneur seminar and networking opportunity for artists, Wed, Oct 7, 2015, 9am- 4pm at The Slover Library, Norfolk, VA.
SPECIAL GUEST SPEAKER: Diane Sulg, president of CRAFT (Craft Retailers and Artists for Tomorrow) and founder/co-chair of American Craft Week. Designed for artists of all kinds, this is not your typical business seminar; be ready for creative engagement with time woven in for making valuable connections with other area artists and artisans. Whether you are just starting out or are looking for a way to infuse new energy into your arts-business, this seminar is for you! Bring one (1) piece of your work for the “POP-UP Show” coinciding with the seminar. Still time to register!
* BrydgeWorks Glass– Special ACW Studio Workshops, Daily; Oct 5-10, 2015. Check schedule link for daily workshop times. Each day of the week, during regular hours, will have a special classes, sales and prizes. Saturday will be a final celebration with a schedule of activities suitable for the whole family! Take a look at the schedule for the full line-up: Rockingham/Harrisonburg AT
Mon, Oct 5 –
More activities celebrating American Craft Week and Virginia Artisan Month.
* Julie Read Art– Learn to Love Watercolor. Beginner & Intermediate Watercolor Classes with Julie Read. Learn to paint the elements that make up a landscape, a floral and a barnyard scene and have fun doing it! Multiple classes… click link for more info. Winchester/ Frederick AT
* Birdsong Pleasure Garden – Open for American Craft Week! Oct 5-9, 2015. Birdsong Pleasure Garden is a study of textures and forms, broad vistas, intimate settings, and color. The gardens allow visitors a chance to escape everyday life; offering them a variety of picturesque gardens, mountain vistas, strolling paths, al fresco dining, and water features. Call ahead. PageValley AT.
* Open Studio Felting Demos with Dabney Kirchman, Oct 5-9, 11am-3pm. Learn about felting with welting demonstrations, get a sneak preview of works in progress in preparation for the upcoming Art Tour and take some free hand-made felt samples home with you. Rappahonnock AT
* Appalachian Piecework– Demonstrations, Oct 6-10, 2015, 11am-6pm. Appalachian Piecework is focusing on Local Fibers & Dyestuffs this year. We are creating Shenandoah Tweeds starting with freshly shorn lambs wool and kid mohair. Come see tweeds spun on a Great Wheel and then woven into runners. HeART & Soil AT
Tues, Oct 6 –
October is Virginia Artisan Month! And a great time to get out and explore your passion with Virginia’s American Craft Week events:
Hands-on Demonstrations. Exclusive Exhibitions. Open Studios. Distinguished Workshops. Seasonal Festivals. Featured Artisans. Special Events. Virginia Artisan History and Cultural Treasures in Every Facet of the Commonwealth.
Find what’s Happening here:
Wed, Oct 7 –
Exhibits & Open Houses in celebration of @American Craft week & Virginia Artisan Month:
* Opening Reception- “78 Tea Bowls by Andre Namenek” an Exclusive Exhibition at Goose Creek Studio, Oct 9, 5-8pm. To celebrate his 78th year, potter Andre Namenek has created 78 Japanese-style tea bowls which will be on display at Goose Creek Studio Gallery and Custom Framing during the month of October. Bedford AT firstname.lastname@example.org
* P Buckley Moss Gallery Fall Open House and Barn Show, Oct 9-11, 10am-5pm. This year the P Buckley Moss Gallery Fall Gallery Open House and Barn Show will feature the new print “Autumn Reflections” that will be released for purchase the weekend of the show. Pre-orders can be made by calling our Waynesboro gallery at 540-949-6473. The artist will be available for signing artwork all weekend. Heart & Soil AT
* Crozet Artisan Depot – Grand Opening, Oct 9. Time TBA. Crozet Artisan Depot is fast becoming a hub for the thriving artisan community in Western Albemarle County. We are a group of artisans dedicated to our work and to supporting local artisans. Monticello AT
Thurs, Oct 8 –
Fall is here…..enjoy these festivities this weekend in celebration of American Craft week & Virginia Artisan Month:
* Nancy Ross of Nancy Ross Pottery will be displaying her work at the Crozet Arts & Crafts Festival, Sat & Sun, Oct 10-11, 10am-5:00pm. Showcasing her classical formed, functional stoneware with glazes reminiscent of surrounding mountains; using rich blues and greens offset by creamy whites. Monticello AT
* Craig County Fall Festival, Sat, Oct. 10th, 10am-5pm. Celebrating 33 years! Almost six blocks in beautiful downtown New Castle, full of vendors- crafts, food, raffles, books, educational exhibits –
Marshall Reynolds Antique Car Show, horse rides, potter, blacksmith, and music. Area musicians and dancers at the corner of Court and Main Street – all day. Tour the Old Brick Hotel and two cabins. Country breakfast in the hotel dining room begins at 7:30. Beans and cornbread for lunch. Virginia’s Western Highlands AT
* Crozet Fall Arts and Crafts Festival, Sat & Sun, Oct 10-11, 10am- 5pm. Celebrating 35 years in 2015, the Crozet Arts and Crafts Festival is an award-winning bi-annual event at Claudius Crozet
Park in historic Crozet, VA. The Autumn Festival features over 100 juried Fine Art and Craft Exhibitors in a wide range of media and styles, food and beverages — including Virginia beer and wine, and live entertainment. Monticello AT
Fri, Oct 9 –
Did someone say Festival? Here you go, in celebration of American Craft week & Virginia Artisan Month:
* Waynesboro Fall Foliage Festival Art Show hosted by Shenandoah Valley Art Center. Sat. Oct 10, 10am-5pm; Sun. Oct 11, noon-5pm. Voted one of the top three art events in Virginia by “Virginia Living” magazine. Tons of great art, and a chance to sample our regional gourmet eats, craft beers, and great music each day. HeART & Soil AT
* Northern Neck Artisan Trail Oyster and Art Fest, Sat, Oct 10, 4pm- 8pm. Celebrate the Oyster and the Artisan in Heathsville on the Northern Neck. Live music, delicious oyster offerings, beer, wine & soda, local artisan on-site displaying and selling their wares at the Rice’s Hotel / Hughlett’s Tavern grounds. See you there!
* 43rd Annual Chincoteague Oyster Festival on Chincoteague Island, Sat, Oct. 10, 10am-4pm. OYSTERS, OYSTERS, OYSTERS… on the half shell, steamed, single fried, fritters, clam chowder, clam fritters, salad bar, french fries, hush puppies, hot dogs, water and soft drinks. All-you-can-eat festival ushering in oyster season held the Saturday of Columbus Weekend on Chincoteague Island. Tickets ($40) may be purchased by calling or visiting the Chincoteague Chamber of Commerce in the Circle on Maddox Boulevard or order online at http://www.chincoteaguechamber.com. VEasternShoreAT
Sat, Oct 10 –
This is the last weekend of @American Craft Week! Get out and explore your passion… Here’s a list of events to help you out.
Sun, Oct 11 –
Thank You for celebrating ACW with us. If you haven’t done so, there are several final ACW events today. Calendar of Events.
But don’t worry the fun isn’t over… there are many more events to celebrate Virginia Artisan Month. Hands-on Demonstrations. Exclusive Exhibitions. Open Studios. Distinguished Workshops. Seasonal Festivals. Featured Artisans. Special Events. Virginia Artisan History and Cultural Treasures in Every Facet of the Commonwealth.